Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to amend my 2021 return in the capital gains area

I use the Windows PC Desktop version of TurboTax Premier and filed my 2021 taxes in April but it was the first time I had reported cryptocurrency transactions and I messed it up big time. I failed to report some transactions, may have double reported others, and had some sales where the basis was zero, wrongly inflating my gains. I imported a .txf file from Cointracker for the crypto information.

At some point, I'll file an amended return, but first I want to generate an accurate return so my CPA and I can examine it. I want to remove all the crypto transactions I used in April and then add a new .txf file which I've generated from Cointracker. (I've updated my information in Cointracker so this file should be right.)

I started by opening my 2021 return as filed and making an experimental copy. I have many pages of Form 8949 which detail the crypto transactions and I have crypto transactions shown on Schedule D, information in Qual Div/Cap Gn, Form 1099-B Wks, Cap Asset Sales Worksheets, and who knows where else?

What is the best way to remove the old crypto information and import a new .txf file?  Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you have no other capital gain transactions besides your crypto transactions, you can delete your Form 1099-B worksheets.

1. Tap Forms in the top right
  2. Find Form 1099-B Wks (Cointracker) in the left column
  3. Tap Delete Form at the bottom of the screen
  4. Tap Step-by-Step in the top right (where Forms used to be)
  5. Select File in the top left, then Save As
  6. Give the file a new name
  7. Import your new .txf file

I DO have other capital gains transactions, but I will try your method and see what happens.  Thanks for your response.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies