Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Smittee23

I need to amend my 2017 return. I've downloaded my .taxfile but it won't open because there isn't an app associated with it. What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I need to amend my 2017 return. I've downloaded my .taxfile but it won't open because there isn't an app associated with it. What can I do?

You will have to get the 2017 TurboTax Desktop software.  For more information see the following help article:

How do I amend a 2017 return in TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you install the 2017 desktop software, start the 2017 TurboTax program, then open the .tax2017 file from within the program. Don't try to open it by clicking on the .tax2017 file in Windows.

If your .tax2017 file contains a state tax return, you must install the state program before you can open the file.

To get a refund from the 2017 amended return, you must file the amended return by April 15, 2021. Send it by certified mail with a return receipt so that you will have proof of mailing, tracking, and confirmation of delivery.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies