Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need a tax preparer to fix IRS mess

What a cluster...
Can someone point me in the direction of a paid tax preparer who can help with my TurboTax nightmare?  I'm in San Diego, btw.

1st, I received a Notice CP12.  I am to call the IRS by July 7, or they won't resolve my issue.  The phone, [phone number removed] puts you through a daisy chain until if finally tells you to call back later.  I've been calling for weeks.

This is complex due to a comedy of errors.  Here is the gist:

April 3- Completed and attempted to file via TurboTax.  It was rejected for 10,700 refund.

Rejected because one of my two Dependents claimed he was not a Dependent.

I Re-Filed with One Dependent instead of Two.
It was Accepted for 8,800.

After a month, I received a refund of only 4,520 on May 4th.
This is -4280 of what TurboTax calculated, (8,800).

My Son amended his return to show that he is Dependent.

My intent was to amend my return to include my son as Dependent to get the remaining $1900, (10,700).

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Bogeyfire wrote:

Can someone point me in the direction of a paid tax preparer who can help with my TurboTax nightmare?  I'm in San Diego, btw.

You might want to contact an enrolled agent in your area.

https://taxexperts.naea.org/listing/results.php?location_1=1&location_3=10&filter_location_4=59

View solution in original post

5 Replies

@Bogeyfire wrote:

You might want to contact an enrolled agent in your area.

https://taxexperts.naea.org/listing/results.php?location_1=1&location_3=10&filter_location_4=59

but before you contact the IRS, it may not be as hard to fix as you may think.

First, the delta on the refund is about $4200.  That suggests that the IRS adjusted Line 30.

Line 30 is simply $1400 times the number of people on your return LESS what you received last March - May, 2021.  If what you entered into TT to represent what you received last spsring does not match the IRS records, the IRS will adjust the difference, which reduced Line 30 which reduces the refund.

What many failed to realize is that when filing joint and referencing Letter 6415, there were TWO letters, one for each spouse that had to be added together.  

1) suggest checking you banking statements from March - May,  2021 to reconfirm what you actually received.  I suspect the IRS adjustment is correct. 

THen if you son amended his return WAIT until you have confirmation that processed (could take 6-9 months!).  One that occurs, amend your tax return.  You have until April 15, 2025 to amend.

how old is your son?

does that help? 

Thank you NCperson!

Yes, it helps... to confuse me! 😉

In the IRS Notice, it says my adjusted refund, assuming I can get ahold of them, is $4600.  What they have already paid is $4520.  Does this mean they say I am getting $4600 more?  Or, are they offering to give me the difference?

It's rhetorical.  No need to answer.  I'm ready to hire someone.  

Regarding my son's age, he was 24 in 2021.  But, he is autistic, I pay 100% of his rent, gas, and cost of living.  He is in a special skill school paid for by the Regional Center.  He makes about $30 a week doing Door Dash deliveries.  

Thank you!  The link is very useful.
🙂

from the way you wrote it, you will get $80 from the IRS.

did you try to calculate Line 30 again using the money you ACTUALLY received last March - Mayl 2021?  I suspect Line 30 is inflated by $4200 because what you entered into TT to represent what yoy received last spring does not match the IRS records. CHECK YOUR BANK ACCOUNT STATEMENTS from last year

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies