rsbhab

I moved to new york in january 2016 but paid estimated taxes to New jersey based on my turbotax return for 2015. will turbotax create a return for nj requesting a refund?

TomD8

NJ can tax all your income up until the day you established your domicile (your permanent home) in NY.  So, if you moved to NY during January, you would file a part-year resident return in NJ and a part-year resident return in NY.  Any excess NJ withholding would be refunded to you.

If you established your NY domicile prior to January 1, you would file a non-resident NJ return showing zero NJ income, and all your NJ withholding will be refunded.  (But if you worked in NJ after your move, your non-resident NJ return would have to show your NJ earnings.)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.