Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mikecd088

I made a mistake on taxes today & did not split income between 2 states. It resulted in me owing money that I do not. How can I fix, since I don't have this money to pay?

My salary was not split between 2 states, and so it resulted in me "owing" money to IRS. It was accepted, but has not been processed. What can I do to fix this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JulieCo

I made a mistake on taxes today & did not split income between 2 states. It resulted in me owing money that I do not. How can I fix, since I don't have this money to pay?

If you made an error on your return and you have already filed it and it was accepted, you will need to file an amended return (form 1040X) to fix the error.  Note that amended returns need to be printed and mailed, as they cannot be e-filed.  

See instructions for filing an amended return below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7276605

Also, below is information on how to contact the IRS and your state if you are not able to pay your taxes at this time: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301261

[Edited 3-29-19|6:30pm]

mikecd088

Okay, so I have to amend. Since there are about 15 days between now and tax day, do I have to pay the money IRS showed I “owed?” Because I do not have this money. Do I go to my local IRS to dispute there? I’m really lost. :(
JulieCo

I updated the answer above with another FAQ link for instructions in scenarios of how to work with the IRS and your state when you cannot pay the taxes due.
mikecd088

So I know for a fact, I do not owe $3,000 (which is what the amount came up to). After doing the amendment, I see I would have gotten a refund of $3500. So do I have to pay the $3k in order to get the refund $3500 back?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies