Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

krubin99

I’m trying to complete a 1099MISC for an employer. How do I do this? For some reason they think I’m completing this form for my own business.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I’m trying to complete a 1099MISC for an employer. How do I do this? For some reason they think I’m completing this form for my own business.

That's correct. You as an individual are not required to issue a 1099-MISC for any reason. But if you are self-employed and you paid a subcontractor more than $600 in the tax year, then your business would be required to issue that individual a 1099-MISC. You do not have to issue a 1099-MISC to another business that you paid any amount.
krubin99

I worked for a self-employed business. They sent me an 1099-MISC form. Should I file it on my taxes?
Carl
Level 15

Yes. You really don't have a choice on this. If you received a 1099-MISC with the amount paid to you reported in box 7, then as far as the IRS is concerned you earned that money while self-employed and in business for yourself. So it gets reported on a SCH C as a part of your personal 1040 tax return. Additionally, if the amount earned through self-employment exceeds $400, then in additional to your regular income tax, you'll also pay an additional 15.3% self-employment tax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies