Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm confused with how TurboTax is calculating the Adoption Tax Credit. It seems like they are giving me the entire credit instead of capping it at what I paid in taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I'm confused with how TurboTax is calculating the Adoption Tax Credit. It seems like they are giving me the entire credit instead of capping it at what I paid in taxes

You are correct.  Because of the nonrefundable nature of the Adoption Credit, if you can't use the entire credit's value in the first year you claim it, you can carry forward any remaining amount for up to five years.

For example, if you claim the full credit in 2023 but only have $10,000 of tax liability, the $5,950 credit balance rolls into the following year.

When you view your completed return, you will see your actual credit amount on Schedule 3, Line 6, which is included in the amount on Line 20 on Form 1040.

The credit amount for this year's return is calculated on the Qualified Adoption Expenses Worksheet. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I agree with you - but TurboTax doesn't seem to be calculating it this way.  It is showing me getting back way more than what I paid in... curious if I'm filling out or answering one of TurboTax's questions wrong?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Try going back through the Adoption Credit section again and double-check your answers.  If it still seems too high, you can create a diagnostic file so that someone can take a closer look and explain what is happening.  The diagnostic file will not contain personally identifiable information, only numbers related to your tax forms.  

If you wish to send a file, use the following instructions and then post the token number along with which version of TurboTax you are using and what state return you are filing in a follow-up thread.

Use these steps if you are using TurboTax Online:

• Sign in to your account and be sure you are in your tax return.
  • Select Tax Tools in the menu to the left.
  • Select Tools.
  • Select Share my file with agent.
  • A pop-up message will appear, select OK to send the sanitized diagnostic copy to us.
  • Post the token number here. 

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, use these steps:

• Select Online at the top of the screen.
  • Select Send Tax File to Agent.
  • Click OK.
  • Post the token number here.

@dakotapage 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies