Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm being audited. All they want is copies of my W-2s and 1099s. Don't they already have this info?

The IRS is asking for copies of my W-2 from a part time job, my wife's 1099R from her retirement and both of our 1099s from Social Security.  Don't they already have this information on file?  Now I have to wait six weeks for my refund?  TurboTax recommended I simply use Standard Deduction, so that's what I did.  Mine is a simple return.  I asked TurboTax to file electronically.  I think I paid extra.  Will my refund come electronically still, or in the mail?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I'm being audited. All they want is copies of my W-2s and 1099s. Don't they already have this info?

The IRS is supposed to get electronic copies of such documents from the payers. It is possible that your payers have not submitted their IRS copies yet (meaning they are late); or the copy submitted by the payer is different from what you entered on your tax return; or maybe they are doing a random check.

Thank you.  It's probably the random check or the payers are late with submissions.  I double checked what I entered and everything is correct.  Once approved (hopefully), will I still get the refund electronically, or have to wait for the USPS mail?

In most cases the tax return will be processed with the original refund method as filed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies