Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amos654

I'm an expat and have not filed 2023 yet. Do i need to amend my 2022 return since i entered my [first] RMD which i distributed in 2023 (together with my second RMD)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I'm an expat and have not filed 2023 yet. Do i need to amend my 2022 return since i entered my [first] RMD which i distributed in 2023 (together with my second RMD)?

You report IRA distributions in the year that the distribution is made, no matter what year it is for. If you reported your first RMD on your 2022 tax return, but did not actually take the RMD until 2023, then you should amend your 2022 tax return to remove the RMD. You should have received a Form 1099-R for 2023 that includes both your 2022 and 2023 RMDs, since you took them both in 2023. You have to report the full amount of the 1099-R on your 2023 tax return. But you already paid tax on the 2022 RMD by incorrectly reporting it on your 2022 tax return. So if you do not amend your 2022 tax return you will be unnecessarily paying tax twice on the same distribution.

You can file your 2023 tax return without waiting for the 2022 amended return. It takes about 20 weeks for the IRS to process an amended return.

amos654

Thank you!!!

Exactly what i needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies