Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SES89

I'm a full-time grad student who is 25 years old. Will I get a stimulus check?

On my 2018 tax return my dad checked the box saying that I could be claimed as a dependent. He was going to claim me but it turned out he couldn't because I made too much and I was too old. I realized this disqualified me from receiving the stimulus check so I knew I had to file my 2019 taxes asap.

I ended up filing my 2019 taxes about a week ago. While I have been enrolled in pharmacy school since August 2019 I worked full-time from January 2019 up until I started school. I currently still work, but much less. I made sure that I did not put that I could be claimed as a dependent, but I put that my occupation was a Student since for the last 5 months of 2019 that was my primary focus.

I'm not sure if putting my occupation as 'Student' will disqualifying me from receiving a check or how long it may take since my 2018 tax return disqualified me, but now that I filed my 2019 I should qualify. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I'm a full-time grad student who is 25 years old. Will I get a stimulus check?

Putting 'student' as your occupation should not affect your qualification for receiving a stimulus payment.  As long as the box is not checked on your return stating that you can be claimed as a dependent and you are not actually claimed on another return, you should receive a stimulus payment.  

After your tax return has been processed, you can start to check the status of your stimulus payment.  Click the following link:  Get My Payment

@SES89

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies