Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jenap1316

I learned I can file a return 3 yrs prior for a refund. 8 and 9 yrs ago I could have filed and got refunded. But was in prison and time ran out what can be done?

The statue of limitations expired on my 2013 2014 return while I was in incarcerated in local county jail and state prison from mid 2016-2018 when I was released. I never received any W-2'S from the employer for the tax 2013 and 2014 tax yrs and didn't think I made enough to be able to file. I made less than $20,000 for the combined yrs come to fined out when I accessed my tax account. Is there some acception in being able to still receive a refund due to circumstances that made filing not possible or a way to be granted an extension due to being incarcerated?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PattiF
Expert Alumni

I learned I can file a return 3 yrs prior for a refund. 8 and 9 yrs ago I could have filed and got refunded. But was in prison and time ran out what can be done?

Unfortunately, there is no exception to the time period to file a tax return for a prior year. 

From the IRS - Filing Past Due Tax Returns:

Claim a Refund

You risk losing your refund if you don't file your return. If you are due a refund for withholding or estimated taxes, you must file your return to claim it within 3 years of the return due date. The same rule applies to a right to claim tax credits such as the Earned Income Credit.

We hold income tax refunds in cases where our records show that one or more income tax returns are past due. We hold them until we get the past due return or receive an acceptable reason for not filing a past due return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies