Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

leo3

I just received the K-1 forms showing losses from an S corp for 2015 & 2016. Since I am a passive investor and cannot offset other incomes. Do I need to amend taxes?

I invested $4,500 in an S Corp and became a passive investor. I just received the K-1 forms showing losses for 2015 and 2016. Since I am a passive investor and cannot offset other non-passive incomes with losses from S corp. Do I need to file an amended taxes for 2015 and 2016, as there would be no change to the tax amounts? 

In addition, the S corp was dissolved in 2017, can I just take $4,500 loss against other non-passive incomes in 2017? Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I just received the K-1 forms showing losses from an S corp for 2015 & 2016. Since I am a passive investor and cannot offset other incomes. Do I need to amend taxes?

Yes, you will want to amend your prior year returns to report these losses, even though you will not currently be able to deduct them. 

This is because when you sell your asset, you will be able to take the losses at that time. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes, you will want to amend your prior year returns to report these losses, even though you will not currently be able to deduct them. 

This is because when you sell your asset, you will be able to take the losses at that time. 

leo3

Thank you. Since the S corp was dissolved with no value in 2017. Does it mean that my shares were automatically sold for $0 proceeds? And I can take $4,500 loss in 2017?

Yes, it should free up the loss in 2017- you may only get to take $3,000 this year, depending on your other investment income or losses, but any extra will carry over to future years.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies