Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just received a 1099-C but already filed my taxes via Turbo Tax. what do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I just received a 1099-C but already filed my taxes via Turbo Tax. what do I do?

You will need to amend your 2014 tax return to include the 1099-C.

Since you already filed your tax return, you need to amend the tax return. First, be sure the return was accepted by the IRS, and do not change the return you already filed! Amended returns must be filed on a new form called 1040X.

How to Amend (Change or Correct) a 2014 Return in TurboTax

Update: Form 1040-X, the IRS amendment form, will be ready on February 12 – not late January, as we had indicated earlier.

Once it's available, we'll post 2014 amendment instructions here http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/GEN86885

Note: E-filed returns in Pending status cannot be amended until

1) the return has been accepted

AND

2) Form 1040-X has been released.

Rejected returns cannot be amended; instead, simply make your changes before re-filing the return.

Per the IRS, amended returns must be mailed and cannot be e-filed.

After you finish amending, TurboTax will guide you through the printing process and give you complete instructions on what to attach and where to mail it.

3 weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.

Follow this link for more helpful information http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/GEN12949

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You will need to amend your 2014 tax return to include the 1099-C.

Since you already filed your tax return, you need to amend the tax return. First, be sure the return was accepted by the IRS, and do not change the return you already filed! Amended returns must be filed on a new form called 1040X.

How to Amend (Change or Correct) a 2014 Return in TurboTax

Update: Form 1040-X, the IRS amendment form, will be ready on February 12 – not late January, as we had indicated earlier.

Once it's available, we'll post 2014 amendment instructions here http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/GEN86885

Note: E-filed returns in Pending status cannot be amended until

1) the return has been accepted

AND

2) Form 1040-X has been released.

Rejected returns cannot be amended; instead, simply make your changes before re-filing the return.

Per the IRS, amended returns must be mailed and cannot be e-filed.

After you finish amending, TurboTax will guide you through the printing process and give you complete instructions on what to attach and where to mail it.

3 weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.

Follow this link for more helpful information http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/GEN12949

I really would like to talk to a human on the phone, is that possible ???
tyv_200

good question  but i went to 1040x form on turbo tax i need to put the 1099c form in and turbo says i have to upgrade this form to use it,why please help me

Seriously, I left a three phone messages that they're supposed to return and I haven't gotten a single response. I'm filing an amended return and it won't let me input the 1099-C, even after I upgraded. I just want to talk to a human :( Extremely disappointed in TurboTax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies