turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rflood

I just filed my extension on line but only wanted to pay part of my full tax liability. How do I amend asap?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I just filed my extension on line but only wanted to pay part of my full tax liability. How do I amend asap?

You can't amend an extension.  You will just pay the lesser amount now and mark this when you file your actual return.  

Make a note of how much you pay now and when you are ready to file the actual return, go to the Extension Payments section inside TurboTax and put the correct the amount of the payment in this section.

Go to Federal taxes (or Personal) -> Click Deductions and Credits (choose option to work on your own) -> Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid -> Choose Income Taxes -> Scroll to Payments with Extension ->  Enter your extension payments

Or, you can perform a search -

• If online:  Log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (you must click this first)
  • Use the search feature in the top right-hand corner of your screen (if using desktop, use the search bar or search topics function)
  • Search for "estimated tax payments" and click the link
  • Scroll down to Payments with Extension
  • Enter your payments
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies