Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have questions regarding amending my 2020 Form 1040A.

On their website, the IRS states, "Generally, you must file an amended return within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. If you filed early, count from the April tax deadline." Describe this part for me and how each scenario is applied for someone who filed on February 23rd, 2021.

Also, I am including a supporting document used to prove why I am amending the Form 1040A, as a e-file in the first place. That supporting document is the old copy of the entire copy of the e-filed Form 1040A, specifically with the section for Education Credits that I vowed to pay back to the IRS with the full credit amount of $1,000 as tax due. Given that I signed, and dated the new version of the Form 1040A that is purposed to replace the old version of the Form 1040A, should the old version of the Form 1040A contain my signature and the date as well, even though it's treated as a supporting document? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You can use the filling deadline date as the date you filed your original 2020 tax return.  Please see File an amended return

I am including a supporting document used to prove why I am amending the Form 1040A, as a e-file in the first place. That supporting document is the old copy of the entire copy of the e-filed Form 1040A,  specifically with the section for Education Credits

You do not have to send the entire original 1040-A.  Simply make a statement as to why you are amending the return.

Given that I signed, and dated the new version of the Form 1040A that is purposed to replace the old version of the Form 1040A, should the old version of the Form 1040A contain my signature and the date as well, even though it's treated as a supporting document?

You do not have to sign nor include your original 1040-A.  The IRS has it.  You should enter the reason for the change and include only any documentation regarding the Education Credit.

If I've misunderstood your question, and this does not completely answer it, please contact us again and provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

based on the rule, as quoted, you should be able to amend for a refund until Feb 23 (postmark date) .

Include the relevant dates in your Part III explanation.

How to file:

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Include any new/corrected document only if it shows federal tax withheld, and include in order only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.
Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.

If you are using TurboTax you have to do this by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you.
---
If any forms specify an attachment, put all those attachments at the end in the same order as the forms they go with.
---
Mail to the address shown for your location in the most recent Instructions for Form 1040-X.

@gabegssanchez89 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies