Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have been working since I was 14 and I recently turned 18 a month ago. But when I tried to do the free filling with my information it was taxing me as an adult??

Im confused why it says my tax return is so low when I was too young to even pay taxes for most of the time mentioned
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I have been working since I was 14 and I recently turned 18 a month ago. But when I tried to do the free filling with my information it was taxing me as an adult??

The amount of tax you pay pay is not determined by your age.  There is no adult tax rate vs child tax rate.  There are some differences in how you are taxed depending on whether or not you check the box stating that someone else can claim you as a dependent.  Turning 18 during the tax year has no impact on the amount of tax you pay.   Your refund may be lower than you were expecting because there was less tax withheld compared to prior years.  You also may have earned enough so that you had taxable income for the first time.  I recommend you print your 2023 tax return and and compare it side by side to your prior year tax return to see what the differences are. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies