dantecol

I got my green card last year on December Should I had report what i earned in my contry for this tax year or not because I was not still a green card holder

I heard about dual residents do i qualify even if was not here before getting my green card?
Dual status: in the taxable year you were resident and non resident
Sam1

YES,

You were present in the United States and either received a green card during the calendar year or passed the substantial presence test during the calendar year, but were not present for the entire calendar year, or were an exempt individual for part of the year. You are considered a resident for tax purposes from the first day during the year you entered the United States or were not an exempt individual, and a non-resident prior to that. You are considered a dual status alien and should file a dual status return. This is a combination of Form 1040 and Form 1040NR. Special rules apply to dual status aliens.

SUBSTANTIAL PRESENCE TEST

You will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States (U.S.) on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.
If you qualify Substantial Presence Test you need to pay tax as a U.S. Citizen.

dantecol

Thanks. Do i qualify as dual status even if i was not here in the US for all the year,(just Decemberi was here) and i have never worked here and never had a US income prior of getting the green card
Sam1

for further assistance kindly please assist a tax professional
Sam1