Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JoaquinP

I got an W2-C after paying additional Taxes

Hi! I prepared my taxes a couple of days ago based on the W2 form I received from my employer. While doing so, they told me that, based on the information, I needed to pay additional federal taxes; which I did. However, I have not email my forms yet to the IRS.

I then noticed that, since I am a F1 visa holder (nonresident), I got money withhold which does not apply for my status. I emailed my employer and they said the are going to issue a W2-C form to correct the issue.

I have 2 issues now: will the IRS take into account the additional federal taxes I paid last week when I edit my W2 with the new from?

Secondly, who is supposed to return all the taxes that were incorrectly withhold on each payslip? (Social Security and Medicare)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I got an W2-C after paying additional Taxes

If you paid taxes in to be applied to your 2023 income tax return, you will get credit for those when you file your tax return.

I believe you mean you did not file your tax return yet, if so you should wait to get the corrected W-2 form and replace your original W-2 entry with the corrected form. If the new W-2 form does not show any tax withheld, you will have no tax payments from withholdings credited toward your income tax. Any tax paid in that was not from withholdings (estimated tax for instance) will still be available to offset your income tax.

Your employer should refund the taxes withheld to you if they correct the W-2 form to show no taxes withheld.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies