turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes, but wanted to try the itemized deductions and see if that would make a difference in my federal return as opposed to using the standard deduction. Can I try that even if I already filed? Just curious.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I filed my taxes, but wanted to try the itemized deductions and see if that would make a difference in my federal return as opposed to using the standard deduction. Can I try that even if I already filed? Just curious.

Itemized deductions (Schedule A) is not supported in the TurboTax Free edition.

The standard deduction for 2016 is $6,300 Single or Married Filing Separately; $9,300 Head of Household; and $12,600 for Married Filing Jointly.

You would need deductions that add up to more than that for the itemized option to be advantageous.

Additionally, certain deductions are limited. For instance, medical expenses usually must be more than 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) before they even start to count and job expenses don't count until they are over 2% of your AGI.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Itemized deductions (Schedule A) is not supported in the TurboTax Free edition.

The standard deduction for 2016 is $6,300 Single or Married Filing Separately; $9,300 Head of Household; and $12,600 for Married Filing Jointly.

You would need deductions that add up to more than that for the itemized option to be advantageous.

Additionally, certain deductions are limited. For instance, medical expenses usually must be more than 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) before they even start to count and job expenses don't count until they are over 2% of your AGI.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies