Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes as Married Filing Jointly (MFJ), but now would like to amend that to Married Filing Separately (MFS). How do I do that?

I have already filed my 2018 taxes as MFJ. 

How do I change that to MFS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I filed my taxes as Married Filing Jointly (MFJ), but now would like to amend that to Married Filing Separately (MFS). How do I do that?

First of all, wait till your return is approved and fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared. Then come back later to click here 2 018 Amend to amend your return.  Note that as IRS is still updating the electronic version of the amendment form, you can't use the program to amend yet.   

In your own account, you would change your filing status to MFS under the section "My Info" and ONLY include your portion of income and "deductions and credits".  For your spouse, you will need to create a new MFS return. If you are using TurboTax online, this requires a separate user account with a different password. The separate account will also be charged separate fees unless you qualify to file for free.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

First of all, wait till your return is approved and fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared. Then come back later to click here 2 018 Amend to amend your return.  Note that as IRS is still updating the electronic version of the amendment form, you can't use the program to amend yet.   

In your own account, you would change your filing status to MFS under the section "My Info" and ONLY include your portion of income and "deductions and credits".  For your spouse, you will need to create a new MFS return. If you are using TurboTax online, this requires a separate user account with a different password. The separate account will also be charged separate fees unless you qualify to file for free.

And you must have mailed your amended return by April 15th.  I suggest certified mail , return receipt so you have proof of mailing.  After the due date of the return (you can also file an extension for you and your spouse) the IRS will not accept amending a joint return to two separate ones.

Just be aware that MFS is a bad status, taxwise.  Do you live in a Community Property State?
Also be aware that you cannot amend to MFS after April 15.

Thank you.

And yes, I live in a community property state, Texas, with no state income tax.

Our taxes are very straightforward, I have a very high income and she has a very low income, and we will both claim the standard deduction. We have no dependents and that's really about it.  I still need to run the numbers, but I believe MFS would be more advantageous in this situation. I just wanted to make sure I could do it first.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies