knapolski

I filed "exempt" on my W-4, resulting in having no federal taxes being taken out. I made about $10,000 last year, do you know how much I will have to owe in taxes?

I didn't realize filing exempt would result in having no federal taxes taken out, and I am concerned I am going to have to pay a lot back because of it. 

KiaraE

No, only because you amount owed can be decreased by a number of different deductions and credits, if you qualify for them. You can simply fill out all your information on TurboTax in order to figure out the amount owed and not necessarily file your return. 

KiaraE

Hal_Al

$10,000 on a W-2 filed by someone not claimed as a dependent results zero income tax.

In fact, you are not even required to file a tax return. 

knapolski

What is the cut off amount where you don't have to file a tax return? I work another job, so I made a little over $11,000 between both.
KiaraE

If you are under age 65 and single, you must file a tax return if you earn $10,400 or more, which is the sum of the 2017 standard deduction for a single taxpayer plus one exemption.
Hal_Al

So, with $11,000 of income, you will owe $60+/-