Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

terrellj

I filed 2016 return applied $126 to 2017 ES. Just received $750 IRS refund. What to do about refund that is not mine?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I filed 2016 return applied $126 to 2017 ES. Just received $750 IRS refund. What to do about refund that is not mine?

Wait a week. You should have a notice from the IRS explaining the adjustment to your return. You'll have the refund before you'll have the notice.

The IRS does adjust returns for the better and not just for the worse. It would appear that the payments to the IRS on your return (withholding or estimated tax payments) were $750 more than you reported. Its also possible that something else was corrected (like a tax credit), though that is less likely.

If you were able to efile your return, the adjustment is unlikely to be related to ID theft or anything nefarious like that. You can call the IRS to ask, but you could have your letter in a few days.

Once you know what the reasoning is, you can address it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Wait a week. You should have a notice from the IRS explaining the adjustment to your return. You'll have the refund before you'll have the notice.

The IRS does adjust returns for the better and not just for the worse. It would appear that the payments to the IRS on your return (withholding or estimated tax payments) were $750 more than you reported. Its also possible that something else was corrected (like a tax credit), though that is less likely.

If you were able to efile your return, the adjustment is unlikely to be related to ID theft or anything nefarious like that. You can call the IRS to ask, but you could have your letter in a few days.

Once you know what the reasoning is, you can address it.

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Also, of course, make sure that your filed return doesn't indicate a $876 refund with $126 applied to 2017
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies