Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emuvenus

I contributed both pre-tax and post-tax dollars to my Dependent Care FSA. Should only pre-tax dollars be reported in Box 10 of my W2, or should the full amount reflect?

The post tax dollars have already been added to Box 1 and are showing as taxable income.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I contributed both pre-tax and post-tax dollars to my Dependent Care FSA. Should only pre-tax dollars be reported in Box 10 of my W2, or should the full amount reflect?

Box 10 on your W-2 should report all the dollars your employer spent on dependent care services. This can include things like on-site day care.

So, if your post-tax dollars ended up getting spent by your employer for dependent care, then yes, they should be included in box 10.

***Notes***

The W-2 instructions for box 10 say, "Include the fair market value (FMV) of care in a daycare facility provided or sponsored by you for your employee and amounts paid or incurred for dependent care assistance in a section 125 (cafeteria) plan." 

Then, they go on, "Report all amounts paid or incurred (regardless of any employee forfeitures), including those in excess of the $5,000 exclusion".

Then, "This may include (a) the FMV of benefits provided in kind by the employer, (b) an amount paid directly to a daycare facility by the employer or reimbursed to the employee to subsidize the benefit, or (c) benefits from the pre-tax contributions made by the employee under a section 125 dependent care flexible spending account. Include any amounts over your plan’s exclusion in boxes 1, 3, and 5."

The underlines part explains the post-tax dollars added to boxes 1, 3, and 5.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies