If your return has been accepted by the IRS:
It is not possible to change your checking account information because it has already been processed.
What you can do:
- If the bank account you entered is closed, the deposit will be rejected and sent back to the IRS. They will print and mail a check to the address listed on your return.
- If the banking information you originally entered was wrong, most likely the direct deposit will be rejected and it will be sent back to the IRS and they will in turn print and mail a check to the address listed on your return.
- If the banking information you originally entered was in someone else's name, the direct deposit may be rejected and sent back to the IRS. The IRS will print and mail a check to the address listed on your return.
If a significant amount of time has passed and your refund has still not been returned to the IRS, you can file Form 3911Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund to request a trace on the refund with the IRS. This usually takes 90 days to complete.
If your return is still in progress or is rejected you still have time to change the information in TurboTax.
- Login to TurboTax Deluxe online
- Once in your tax timeline, click the Take Me To My Return button in the center of the page
- Click File (you must register your free account in order to enter/access direct deposit page)
- Click the blue Start Here button next to First, review your order
- Answer the interview questions
- You will arrive at a screen asking for your bank account information; Change the account number information as needed.