Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I believe someone stole my federal tax return. It never arrived in my checking account and when i checked the return’s routing and account numbers, they were unknown.

I live in Utah and have always used the same bank account. The unknown info came from a bank in Texas that i have never heard of. The account number was a few digits longer than mine. The routing doesn’t even have the same first three digits. Please help.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I believe someone stole my federal tax return. It never arrived in my checking account and when i checked the return’s routing and account numbers, they were unknown.

Before you get too concerned about theft, be aware there are at least 3 legitimate reasons that a refund would go to routing and account numbers you don't recognize.   I will tell you some possibilities below.

First, look at your return at a page called "Electronic Filing Instructions" or a page called "Federal Tax Return Summary."   Those pages will have the account and routing numbers, but also may tell you additional information and the refund option selected.

The name of the bank is likely going to be your biggest clue.

For instance, you mentioned the bank is in Texas, so I wonder if it is MVB Bank by any chance?    MVB Bank is used when a filer chooses to get their refund on a Credit Karma Money  checking or savings account and the Credit Karma Visa Debit Card.   Did you choose that option and don't remember doing so?  Here's info on it:

https://sh-exp-ck.app.intuit.com/s/en-us/help-article/chequing-account/getting-know-credit-karma-mon...

Another possibility is if you chose to pay any fees out of your Federal refund.   In that case the refund would go from the IRS to an intermediary bank where the fees are taken out.  Then that intermediary bank sends the rest of the funds on to your own bank account.   But I don't think that service uses a Texas bank.

Did you pay the fees upfront, or did you choose to pay them out of your Federal refund?  If so, we can tell you how to check with the third-party company that handles that.

Thirdly, occasionally someone who has a brokerage account will see TurboTax send their refund to their brokerage account unknowingly, especially if the user had used the import feature from their brokerage.  We have seen this happen to a few users who said their refund went to a JP Morgan or Chase bank account they didn't recognize.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies