Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kcsmalljr

I amended my 2020 taxes on April 29th. Why did turbo tax send me an email telling me to amend if I won't see the refund this week???

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I amended my 2020 taxes on April 29th. Why did turbo tax send me an email telling me to amend if I won't see the refund this week???

Did you report a 1099-G for unemployment comp?  The program has been updated to reflect the new $10,200 deduction for that.  You generally do not need to amend for Federal.

However, taxpayers would have to file an amended return if they did not originally claim the EITC or other credits, but now are eligible because the [unemployment comp] exclusion changed their income.  These taxpayers may want to review their state tax returns as well.

IRS begins correcting tax returns for unemployment compensation income exclusion; periodic payments ...

See these re State:

How is my state taxing unemployment income? (intuit.com)

Do I need to amend my state return to update my un... (intuit.com)

Exactly what refund are you "expecting to see this week?"  Amended returns take 4-6 months to process.

kcsmalljr

"Did you report a 1099-G for unemployment comp?"

Turbo tax sent me an email back in April telling me to amend my 2020 unemployment taxes because of the EITC  so that's what I did.  The IRS still hasn't given me the refund and It been 3 weeks. Based on what the government said, "The tax authority will begin by correcting simple tax returns, including those belonging to individuals who did not claim children or any refundable tax credits. Then it will move on to more complex tax situations" and what these tax news outlets saying about the refunds being sent this week. Im trying to figure why other people and I in a similar situation haven't seen the amended return in bank accounts yet. " refunds being sent this week" and "amending taxes could take up to 16 weeks" kinda contradicts each other as well how people expect to pay bills.

I agree 100%. TurboTax told me to file an amended return as well.. I was holding off because I did not want it to interfere with the IRS automatically sending the 2020 Unemployment Tax Break money direct deposit, because I had filed before the Plan came out. Turbo Tax was so adamant on sending me emails telling me to amend my return so I finally did on May 4, 2021, now it will take up to 16 weeks for processing. Very irritating, like you said i am so behind on a lot of things and really needed that money this month. Very contradicting.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies