Solved: I am international student. I filed my taxes as US resident for tax purpose. And I didn't profit of a tax treaty with my country. What can I amend my tax return? Thanks

I am international student. I filed my taxes as US resident for tax purpose. And I didn't profit of a tax treaty with my country. What can I amend my tax return? Thanks

On your amendment, to add your tax treaty benefit for exclusion:

• To your left, select Federal
  • From the top, scroll down to Less Common Income / Miscellaneous Income 1099A, 1099C, select Start
  • Next screen, scroll down to Other Reportable Income, follow prompts to enter the treaty-exempt amount as negative amount (-xxx)
  • Download and print a Form 8833 ( Tax treaty exemption ) from IRS to claim an exception. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8833.pdf

Please also read:

Since you have already submitted your return, at this point, you cannot make any corrections to your tax return.

You have two options: 

If your return got rejected for any reasons, you can return to the program/account to add the info along with other changes.  You do not need an amendment 1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, please see the following :

You will have to amend your return by filing a Form 1040X.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  If by editing the information does not change the refund or amount you owe, you do not need to submit the amendment. 

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them;  they are processed as two separate returns.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. 

• To your left, select Federal

Please also read:

You have two options: