Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dee2024

I am filing a 1040x to correct an error on my 2020 tax return- my spouse had an ITIN then but now has a SSN. Do I use the ITIN# used on the original 1040?

We filed jointly. Should I use his then ITIN or the new SSN# on the 1040-X form? On the original 2020 return, he still had only his ITIN. The changes are not on any of his part of the return, rather just my income. 

Thank you in advance!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I am filing a 1040x to correct an error on my 2020 tax return- my spouse had an ITIN then but now has a SSN. Do I use the ITIN# used on the original 1040?

Use your spouse's SSN on your amended return, even though his ITIN was used on the original return.

Part II of Form 1040-X is used to give an explanation of the reason for your amended return, and you'll have the opportunity to enter your explanation when amending in TurboTax.  After typing in your explanation, you might also want to include something to the effect of: 

Note that on the original return, an ITIN for [your husband] was used, as he didn't have a Social Security number at that time.  He has since received a Social Security number, and it is being used on this amended return.  This amended return is being filed for reasons unrelated to his new Social Security number.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies