Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

leonwyang

I am an international student at US for only 2 years. I e-filed my tax returns using TurboTax, which I think by default file me as a resident. How should I amend that?

I think I should file as non-resident using Sprintax. But I have already e-filed and been accepted.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am an international student at US for only 2 years. I e-filed my tax returns using TurboTax, which I think by default file me as a resident. How should I amend that?

Since you are a nonresident for tax purposes, you will be able to prepare the amended return you need through our partner service, Sprintax.  Please click this link to visit their website:  Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
leonwyang

Thanks for answering! The problem is that I have already e-filed and looking at the website I did not see the option to amend my 2018 tax return(there were one for 2017 and prior years)
leonwyang

Should I first amend through TurboTax? How should I connect the two accounts from both TurboTax and Sprintax?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

The amend is done by preparing Form 1040NR, and attaching a blank form 1040X to it.  Sprintax will help you with the whole procedure.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
leonwyang

I reached the point where it asked me whether I filed 2018 tax return and I chose yes. And then it says this preparation will be served as an amendment but must be done offline and there is 90 dollar price for it....  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies