Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cyncyn000

I am an F1 student and it looks like I've been filling my taxes the wrong way and I d'ont know what to do now to make things right. Help please?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I am an F1 student and it looks like I've been filling my taxes the wrong way and I d'ont know what to do now to make things right. Help please?

If you used TurboTax to file your US taxes, you will be filing as a resident. This means your tax return will be inaccurate and you may be subject to fines and penalties. Sprintax is the nonresident partner of choice for Turbo Tax.

If your return has been filed and accepted by the IRS, you will need to file an amended return.  

You need to complete the top portion 1040X including items A and B, the signature at the bottom of page 1, and
Part II on page 2. See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf for a PDF of form 1040X.

It will be easier to complete 1040X outside of Turbo Tax.

You will complete form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR

Turbo Tax does not support the 1040NR. However, Turbo Tax has partnered with Sprintax for assistance in preparing US tax returns by international filers.  See https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html. if you need help with the 1040NR.

You will print and mail into the IRS the following
 - Form 1040X
 - Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ with “AS AMENDED” written on top of each page, and
 - a copy of the Form 104A you originally submitted with “COPY OF ORIGINALLY SUBMITTED” on top of each page.

Mail to the address provided in the IRS 1040X instruction.

Remember – you can easily prepare your nonresident tax return with Sprintax. Get started here.

International Student Filing Guide

International Student Files Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies