turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

13phogue

I am amending my taxes because I accidentally claimed myself as a dependent and the review section says that there are other changes I made even though I did not

I had around $800 in my tax return and now it says I owe $89, I don't know where that came from
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DustinTS

I am amending my taxes because I accidentally claimed myself as a dependent and the review section says that there are other changes I made even though I did not

If you filed your taxes originally and were getting an $800 return this is completely separate from filing an amended return.

When you start an amended return the TurboTax resets the refund amount to 0 because it's made to think you have already filed with the numbers you have entered. So the amended value of owing $89 is completely separate from your refund of $800.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DustinTS

If you filed your taxes originally and were getting an $800 return this is completely separate from filing an amended return.

When you start an amended return the TurboTax resets the refund amount to 0 because it's made to think you have already filed with the numbers you have entered. So the amended value of owing $89 is completely separate from your refund of $800.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies