Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am amending my tax return because I didnt put all of my w2's in. Now that im including all of them I see now i do owe money. Should i get a payment plan before or after

Payment plan before or after I file my amend?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am amending my tax return because I didnt put all of my w2's in. Now that im including all of them I see now i do owe money. Should i get a payment plan before or after

If the program lets you when you go to file, you can setup a payment plan then.  If the program does not offer the payment plan, you can apply for one on the IRS website.  On a payment plan, you will still incur penalty and interest until the full amount of taxes due are paid.

Avoid a penalty by filing and paying your tax by the due date, even if you can’t pay what you owe.

For individuals and businesses: Apply online for a payment plan (including installment agreement) to pay off your balance over time. Fees apply.

For more information on payment plans including streamlined, in-business trust fund express, guaranteed, and partial payment installment agreements refer to Tax Topic No. 202-Tax Payment Options.

Apply for a Payment Plan

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If the program lets you when you go to file, you can setup a payment plan then.  If the program does not offer the payment plan, you can apply for one on the IRS website.  On a payment plan, you will still incur penalty and interest until the full amount of taxes due are paid.

Avoid a penalty by filing and paying your tax by the due date, even if you can’t pay what you owe.

For individuals and businesses: Apply online for a payment plan (including installment agreement) to pay off your balance over time. Fees apply.

For more information on payment plans including streamlined, in-business trust fund express, guaranteed, and partial payment installment agreements refer to Tax Topic No. 202-Tax Payment Options.

Apply for a Payment Plan

All it says is to set up a date to pay between 4/16 and 4/18? I dont see a payment plan option available. 

@nadiakirk52795-g   Those dates are for if you were going to pay taxes owed by direct debit.  As I stated, the amendment form may not let you apply for a Payment Plan.  You can go to the IRS website with the information I gave you above and setup a payment plan.  You can do all this after you file your amended return.  

Okay makes sense! I am just worried that if I select a date they'll take out what I owe before I can apply for a payment plan 

@nadiakirk52795-g  Don't enter any banking information.  To get pass that, say you will pay by check, that way you can file your amended return.  A payment voucher may print but you can ignore it.  Then go to the IRS website to request a Payment Plan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies