Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

D233728k

I am a green card holder and received a 1042 s

Hello. I arrived to US  for first time as green card holder last year august 1st 2022. Now, I received a 1042 s  with income tax code 12 (royalties from YouTube) with a amount they win held me last year prior to arrived to the country. Where should I add this information in my taxes? I don’t find the option here. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As you received your green card during the year 2022, you are a dual-status alien for tax year 2022.

For the part of the year you are a nonresident alien, you are taxed on income from U.S. sources only.

For the part of the year you are a U.S. resident alien, you are taxed on income from all sources. Income from sources outside the United States is taxable if you receive it while you are a resident alien.

As you are a resident alien at the end of the year, you can use form 1040 to report your worldwide income during the period you are a resident alien. You have to write "Dual-Status return" across the top of the return. You have to print out your return and mail it as you cannot e-file.

For the income earned before becoming a resident alien, you have to report it on form 1040-NR. Form 1040-NR is not supported by TurboTax and you can use the services of our partner Sprintax. You will attach form 1040-NR to your form 1040, but you must also write "Dual-status return" across the top of form 1040-NR.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

@D233728k 

[Edited 03/16/2023 | 8:15 AM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
D233728k

So in this case I am not a dual status resident?  Because I arrived the country as green card holder and the 1042 s was issued in my time in my country of birth (Salvador) thanks 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I have edited my answer. Please see above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies