Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidently filed my 1099g form under w2 in turbo tax. Both returns were acceoted. Do I need to file an amendment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I accidently filed my 1099g form under w2 in turbo tax. Both returns were acceoted. Do I need to file an amendment?

At the very least, you will want to wait and see if the IRS (and your state department of revenue, if applicable) processes your original tax return(s) and issues you the refund you were expecting.

If, instead of a refund, they send you a letter questioning why you return contained excess W-2 income, and no entry for Form 1099-G, then you will have to respond to that particular information request at that time.

That said, let's assume that your tax return(s) actually do get processed and refund(s) issued, just as you originally filed them. What then?

Well, at a minimum, you should run through the TurboTax program again (using the amended tax return process) and see if putting the W-2 and 1099-G data in the right places this time makes any actual difference to your tax return.  It's entirely possible that there will be no dollar difference observed, in which case you do not need to file an amended tax return if you do not want to.

While some tax prepares will disagree on this point, and say that if anything changes from the original tax return a taxpayer should always and everywhere amend that tax return, this simply not the case.

You've met your legal burden and regulatory obligation to file a tax return by the act of filing your original documents.  If something later changes, but does so in a way that it either does not affect your tax liability / refund, or the result is in the favor of the government, then you don't (legally) have to file that amended tax return if you do not want to -- or if you decide it would not be worth your time and trouble.

If the amended process shows that you do owe money to the government, however, then you are required to file an amended return.

For further information on amending, please find below a link to a TurboTax webpage for the current year amendment process.  We will keep that page updated throughout the tax filing season.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-my-2016-turbotax-online-return

You can also see the following webpage for additional information on amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

Thank you for asking this very important question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

At the very least, you will want to wait and see if the IRS (and your state department of revenue, if applicable) processes your original tax return(s) and issues you the refund you were expecting.

If, instead of a refund, they send you a letter questioning why you return contained excess W-2 income, and no entry for Form 1099-G, then you will have to respond to that particular information request at that time.

That said, let's assume that your tax return(s) actually do get processed and refund(s) issued, just as you originally filed them. What then?

Well, at a minimum, you should run through the TurboTax program again (using the amended tax return process) and see if putting the W-2 and 1099-G data in the right places this time makes any actual difference to your tax return.  It's entirely possible that there will be no dollar difference observed, in which case you do not need to file an amended tax return if you do not want to.

While some tax prepares will disagree on this point, and say that if anything changes from the original tax return a taxpayer should always and everywhere amend that tax return, this simply not the case.

You've met your legal burden and regulatory obligation to file a tax return by the act of filing your original documents.  If something later changes, but does so in a way that it either does not affect your tax liability / refund, or the result is in the favor of the government, then you don't (legally) have to file that amended tax return if you do not want to -- or if you decide it would not be worth your time and trouble.

If the amended process shows that you do owe money to the government, however, then you are required to file an amended return.

For further information on amending, please find below a link to a TurboTax webpage for the current year amendment process.  We will keep that page updated throughout the tax filing season.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-my-2016-turbotax-online-return

You can also see the following webpage for additional information on amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

Thank you for asking this very important question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies