Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally made double payment to the IRS for my 2017 tax liability. How can I cancel the payment i made with Turbo tax?

I made payment via turbo tax auto pay (giving my routing number and account number) to make payment on April 17. Then my forgetfulness thought that I need to send a check or make payment. I went to the IRS Direct Pay website and paid the full amount again. Both payments are set to be on April 17, 2018 (not yet happen). How can i cancel the payment with Turbotax? Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I accidentally made double payment to the IRS for my 2017 tax liability. How can I cancel the payment i made with Turbo tax?

You may have an easier time canceling the payment you scheduled through the Direct Pay website - go to the site below and lookup payment (hopefully you kept the confirmation number).  If the payment hasn't already been processed in the system, you might have the option to modify or cancel it.

For the payment sent with your return through TurboTax - once the return is filed and accepted its in the hands of the IRS and you will have to call the IRS's payment services hotline to cancel any automatic payment you have scheduled.  

"Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling."

Note:  They advise waiting 7-10 days after the return was accepted to ensure the information is in the system, but you will want to try to call now since your payment is scheduled sooner.

HELP!

When I filed my 2019 taxes, I owed $2,716. I filed and indicated to have the IRS take out my payment + the $20 penalty on 6/30/20. They did that correctly.

My problem is that I paid them in full prior to 6/30, through the IRS Direct payment site. ($1,318 on 4/21 and $1,398 on 5/26.) 

Thinking that the IRS would have noticed that I already paid my tax debt, they would not have taken out the auto debit on 6/30.

I was wrong and as a result, I have paid $2,716 too much.

How do I get that duplicate payment back?

I called [phone number removed] and they can not help me.  All they can do is direct me to [phone number removed], and I need to talk to a human to resolve this. The automated service can not help me.

What do I do?

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies