Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I accidentally didnt file one of my w-2's, how do I fix it?

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

I accidentally didnt file one of my w-2's, how do I fix it?

If you have already e-filed through TurboTax, then you will probably have to amend your return.


The form (1040X) is not ready yet, but since your return will need to be processed before amending and since the IRS did not start accepting e-files for processing until January 27th, you shouldn't amend your return for at least a few weeks.


Please watch this link (TurboTax FAQ on Amending Returns), and when the instructions for amending 2019 returns appear, you can start the amendment process then. Follow these instructions to open TurboTax and add your new W-2.


NOTE: this is a good reason to not e-file your return before the IRS opens up e-filing, because the time lag gives you a chance to make any corrections to your return before you actually file. Once you e-file the return, it is too late to change without amending the return instead.


NOTE NOTE: if by chance your e-file is rejected by the IRS, then you will have a chance to add your W-2 and then try to e-file again. Watch the status of your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings