turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally checked Yes to the “Do you want to elect direct deposit of any federal tax refund?” What happen to the rest of the refund money that I did not received?

I accidently checked Yes to the “Do you want to elect direct deposit of any federal tax refund?”’ I already e-file and got some of refund back. But did not received the rest. So what happen to the rest of the refund money that I did not received? 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

I accidentally checked Yes to the “Do you want to elect direct deposit of any federal tax refund?” What happen to the rest of the refund money that I did not received?

If you elected to have your federal tax refund directly deposited the amount that the IRS shows in their records is what will be deposited. If there is a difference in what your return said and what was directly deposited, it could be a few things: (1) Your state comes at a different time that your federal refund. Some people forget this and expect all their refund money to come at once, (2) The IRS may have made some adjustments to your return based on information that they had, which in turn can change the amount of the refund due to you, or (3) The IRS might be hold some of your refund back pending a review of your return.

Best course of action is to contact the IRS and speak to a tax representative there and see what they are showing in their system. The IRS does not share any of the tax information with Turbo Tax, so we have no way if knowing why. The IRS will be able to explain to you what is going on, and what you can expect. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
WillK
Intuit Alumni

If you elected to have your federal tax refund directly deposited the amount that the IRS shows in their records is what will be deposited. If there is a difference in what your return said and what was directly deposited, it could be a few things: (1) Your state comes at a different time that your federal refund. Some people forget this and expect all their refund money to come at once, (2) The IRS may have made some adjustments to your return based on information that they had, which in turn can change the amount of the refund due to you, or (3) The IRS might be hold some of your refund back pending a review of your return.

Best course of action is to contact the IRS and speak to a tax representative there and see what they are showing in their system. The IRS does not share any of the tax information with Turbo Tax, so we have no way if knowing why. The IRS will be able to explain to you what is going on, and what you can expect. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies