Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to switch from e-file to mail in TurboTax Desktop on amended return past deadline

I am trying to file an amended return for 2022. Because I e-filed last year, TurboTax Desktop assumes I want to e-file again, and is only providing forms and instructions accordingly. But when I get ready to file, it says, "E-filing is closed for the season, you can file by mail." There is no option to change it to mail so that I get the correct forms and instructions. What can I do? Is there a way to force it to change to mail? If not, are the forms the same, and I just have to search online to find the addresses to mail my forms to the IRS and North Carolina? 

Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How to switch from e-file to mail in TurboTax Desktop on amended return past deadline

Are you sure you are in the AMEND process?

In other words do you have a 1040-X Form with Col A,B,C filled out.

when you put the PDF file of your return on the printer, you will be ready to mail.

How to file on paper:

Do not include your old 1040, nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Include any new/corrected document only if it shows federal tax withheld, and include in order only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.
Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.

@CloseToTheEdge1 

Yes, I selected "Amend a return" at the beginning. It's actually an amended return of an amended return :).

I changed Box 1 of one of the W-2s because I got a letter saying that I had an income tax offset due to an overpayment from 2022 that I repaid in 2023. It was less than $3000 so I could not use the deduction or IRC method to recover the tax.

The PDF file contains the following:

Federal

Filing Instructions (Pages 1 and 2)

1040ES: Estimated Tax Voucher (1 through 4)

Form 1040-V Payment Voucher

Form 1040-SR Tax Return for Seniors

Schedule 1 Additional Income and Adjustments to Income

Form 8889 Health Savings Accounts

Postmark Report: Electronic Postmark

North Carolina

Filing Instructions

Form D-400AM Amended Schedule

Form D-400 Individual Income Tax Return

Form D-400S Supplemental Schedule

So are you saying I only need to file Form 1040X federal and Form D-44AM North Carolina (along with the letter I received from the employer about the overpayment as an attachment)?

When TurboTax says I have to mail it, it has a link that says "Learn More", but the link doesn't actually tell me anything, such as how to get filing instructions. It is a page that shows the filing deadlines for 2024.

Thank you for you help, @fanfare!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If you are amending because you altered your W2 then you need to include your 1040X and your 1040.  Then, for North Carolina, your D-44AM as well as another copy of the 1040X and the 1040.  Mail them to the addresses below - 

For federal.

For North Carolina.

@CloseToTheEdge1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies