Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ZWu1
Returning Member

How to get money back - tax preparer made uncorrectable mistakes

Dear expert,

My tax filer made a mistake in my 2 rental properties' depreciation for many years and just realized it. (I over paid taxes). Unfortunately I already converted last year 1 of the 2 properties for self use and live in it now. Thus after his research, he said for that one, we couldn't get money back from IRS, not now, not later.

My questions:

1. What are the possible, legit ways I get money back, e.g. get the amount from the tax preparer? Go to court to sue him (total tax amount is >10,000)? Other solutions?

2. If he is willing to pay the money back to me, is it Income for me (i.e. I get 1099 from him) and then pay tax? How do I explain this amount to IRS, as the amount is not payroll or contractor service income?

Thanks a lot!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

You need to consult with local legal counsel either way.

See https://www.avvo.com/

ZWu1
Returning Member

Thanks a lot, and yes I need to consult a lawyer, if I can find someone who deals with this type of situation.

But I imagine I am not the first one having this issue, so what are the usual solutions?

Thanks again!!

File a complaint against the tax preparer's license (if the preparer has one and is, indeed, at fault).

File a complaint against the tax preparer yourself in small claims court (or the appropriate venue).

I think the answer that you can't get the money back may also be wrong.  Depending on what the mistakes were, there is a form 3115 that can be used to correct mistakes with depreciation.  Since this preparer is already shown to be not competent, you may want a second opinion from someone else.  (If you go to court, you will need to hire someone to calculate and testify to the loss in any case.)

But to recover from this accountant for their mistakes, you have to sue them.  That's how it all works.  A legitimate accountant should have errors and omissions insurance to cover these things, and they might negotiate a settlement, but even then, you usually have to file suit to get the ball rolling.

If they have a professional license like a CPA, you might be able to file a complaint with the licensing body, which might result in a black mark on their record, but probably won't result in financial recovery without suing them.  

ZWu1
Returning Member

Thanks both Champs for your answers.

1. For this property, the return preparer said the amount is unrecoverable via Form 3115 since I already converted it to self use last year. (For the other one, yes he is doing 3115 for me).

2. Suing him / going thru court is no fun. Is it ok or legit that he gives me the money back, and then I report it as some taxable income on my this year return?

Thanks a bunch!

@ZWu1 wrote:

Thanks both Champs for your answers.

1. For this property, the return preparer said the amount is unrecoverable via Form 3115 since I already converted it to self use last year. (For the other one, yes he is doing 3115 for me).

2. Suing him / going thru court is no fun. Is it ok or legit that he gives me the money back, and then I report it as some taxable income on my this year return?

Thanks a bunch!

If the preparer makes a voluntary settlement, then I have two thoughts, and I welcome the thoughts of other experts.

1. On the one hand, settlements are only taxable to the extent they exceed your actual loss.  If you can show you lost (let's say) $10,000, and the accountant negotiates a payment of $5000, then under this theory, it is not taxable.

2. The other thought is that, your problem is that you did not take enough depreciation, and paid more tax.  If you sell the property, you must pay depreciation recapture on the depreciation you took or should have taken.   If you figure your recapture on the depreciation you actually took, then you will pay less recapture tax when you sell, which balances out the lower deduction (you got less deduction before, and you pay less tax when you sell), so it's kind of a wash, which means the settlement would be taxable.  However, if you calculate your recapture on the depreciation that should have been taken, then you will pay more depreciation recapture, than the amount you deducted, which means you have a loss, so the settlement is non-taxable.

But it's a bit complicated, so other suggestions would be appreciated. 

My suggestion since you're being "made whole" (partially, at least) by virtue of the preparer filing the 3115 for the other property:

With respect to the property converted to personal use, if your preparer provides you with a tax reporting statement (e.g., a 1099-MISC) in connection with a settlement, I would personally simply report that figure as miscellaneous income and be done with it. Otherwise, you stand a good chance of receiving inquiries from the IRS.

Otherwise, you could continue to track the settlement amount and subtract that figure from your basis when you sell the property to an unrelated third party.

I bring this up but don't know if you would qualify and that is filing a late form 3115 using reg section 301.9100-3. the comments of other would be welcome. 

the other though is filing form 3115 in the year you sell the property. again the thoughts of others would be appreciated.   

I'll page @AmeliesUncle for input. 

If it was a rental in 2023, Form 3115 does give a 'bonus' six months to be filed (see bottom of Revenue Procedure 2015-13).

However, what EXACTLY was the problem?  Form 3115 doesn't automatically fix everything.  It can only fix certain things.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rp-15-13.pdf#page=43

@AmeliesUncle wrote:

However, what EXACTLY was the problem?  Form 3115 doesn't automatically fix everything.  It can only fix certain things.

Exactly! I was wondering whether the tax preparer simply used an incorrect basis, which Form 3115 would not fix.

ZWu1
Returning Member

Thanks a lot for your response.

ZWu1
Returning Member

Thanks a lot for your help!

ZWu1
Returning Member

Thank you for your input.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies