Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to ACCESS IRS Form 5329 to Report Missed RMD, & APPEND my waiver request letter to my ONLINE submission of TT E-file?

We learned in January that one of our retirement investment firms had failed to send 2023 Required Minimum-Distribution in 2023. The firm admitted it was their error in a letter to her. I knowwe have to add the IRS Form 5329, the firm's letter, and our letter of explanation/request for waiver.  
But HOW do we access, complete & append the 5329 & our letters on to our TT e-file, to summit our return electronically to IRS?
My wife and I are 76 years old.  
Sincere thanks for anyone's kind help! 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How to ACCESS IRS Form 5329 to Report Missed RMD, & APPEND my waiver request letter to my ONLINE submission of TT E-file?

Turbotax should supply a text box to explain your action to resolve the issue.

You do not have to attach the firm's letter to your tax return.

As I understand it, TurboTax Online doesn't support this very well.

@dmertz 

@ed73mad 

dmertz
Level 15

After clicking the Continue box on the page that lists any Forms 1099-R that you have entered.  TurboTax will ask if each of you completed your RMDs.  For whichever of you did not have your RMD completed, indicate the tot RMD amount that that individual was required to take, the amount actually taken, then, assuming that missed RMD has now been taken in 2024, indicate the missed 2023 amount that has now been taken.  TurboTax will prepare Form 5329 Part IX requesting the waiver and will prompt you to enter the explanation as to why the RMD was completed late and that it has now been completed.  That's all you need to do.  As fanfare said, there is no need to attach the actual letter, just retain the letter in the unlikely event that the IRS asks for it.

There is no payment of a penalty on the amount for which the waiver is requested.  In the unlikely event that the IRS declines the waiver, they will bill for the penalty.

Thanks so very much for your kindly taking the time to provide such a good explanation of how I could get out of the dark jungle, and setting me on the right path. Rest assured, you've indeed helped reduce human frustration and suffering on our planet!  Best to you in your future good works. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies