Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How should I file my amended 2022 tax return?

Hi tax expert,

I tried amending my 2022 tax return to remove a substitute 1099-R, but encountered an issue filing the amendment through TurboTax. The program insists I correct my signature date to fall between 01/01/2023 and 12/31/2023, trapping me in a loop and preventing transmitting my amended return. Is e-filing an option for the federal amended return, or should I mail it instead? Regarding the New York State return, TurboTax requires e-filing, but this signature date issue has left me unable to proceed. Can anyone provide guidance on this matter?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you can't e-file a 2022 amended return in TurboTax. You will need to print and mail in your amended tax returns. 

As far as the New York state e-file mandate, it only applies when the software you are using supports e-file. In other words, you must e-file, if you can. 

Since TurboTax doesn't support the e-file of 2022 amended returns at this time, you can print, sign, and mail your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

E-filing is an option. Sounds like your computer may be experiencing a loop.  Let's clear your cookies, history and cache' then reboot.

Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.

On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.

Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

Related Information:

Thank you for your quick response!

The issue with cookies doesn't apply to me since I'm using the TurboTax desktop version. My problem arises when I enter a signature date of 3/16/2024, which falls outside the allowed range of 1/1/2023 to 12/31/2023 for the 2022 amended return, and I'm unable to move forward to e-file the federal and state amended return.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you can't e-file a 2022 amended return in TurboTax. You will need to print and mail in your amended tax returns. 

As far as the New York state e-file mandate, it only applies when the software you are using supports e-file. In other words, you must e-file, if you can. 

Since TurboTax doesn't support the e-file of 2022 amended returns at this time, you can print, sign, and mail your return. 

Thank you for your response!

Should I mail my amended federal and New York State tax returns for 2022 at the same time, or should I wait to send the New York State amendment until after the federal amendment is accepted? I've heard that the state won't start processing the amendment until the federal one has been accepted. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

There is no need to file the federal and state tax returns at different times.

You can mail them at the same time.

Please follow the File by mail instructions included in the TurboTax package.

Be sure to physically sign the 1040X and the amended 1040, as well as all state returns.

Please contact us again with any additional questions.

@diaolilin 

OK. I've heard that I should only mail the sections of my tax return that have been amended. However, I'm uncertain about which parts those are, given the number of forms involved. Can I just print and send the entire amended 2022 tax return file created by TurboTax?

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can print and send the entire amended file that TurboTax created.  The IRS instructions directs taxpayers to send the original tax return with all forms and schedules included in the original return when you submit your amendment.

Refer to the IRS article File an amended return.

Got it. Thank you very much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies