jfm1953unc

How may I receive a refund of fed tax withheld in 2016 on my 13 year old son's SS payments?

Fed tax was mistakenly withheld in 2016 from my son's SS payments.  I would like to receive a refund of these fed taxes withheld, as there should be no tax withheld from these SS payments.  Since I do not report this SS payment on my return, how may I get a refund of incorrectly withheld fed taxes?

Texas Roger

You would need to file a return in his name and enter the SS income and withholding. You may not be able to efile it. If not, you will have to print and mail it.

Texas Roger