turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How does TurboTax calculate the Effective Tax Rate on a return - I believe it is wrong

On page 1 our tax return shows an "Effective Tax Rate" of 8.19%.  This looks totally wrong.

Look for yourselves:

Adjusted Gross Income $111,173

Taxable Income $83,873

Total Tax $15,669

Total Payments/Credits $7,085

Payment Due: $8,584

Penalty/Interest $261

Balance due with Penalty/Interest  $8,845

Effective tax Rate 8.19%

There is no way our effective tax rate is 8.19% when the Adjusted Gross Income is $111,173 and the Tax liability is $15,669. 

The only way to get to the 8,19% effective tax rate is to base it on the outstanding yet to be paid tax liability. This does not make sense. If IRS owed us money, then the effective tax rate would be negative.

I tried to call Intuit/Turbotax - there is absolutely no possibility to talk to a person and ask this question.

Does anyone else have this problem?  What else did TurboTax mess up?

Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

How does TurboTax calculate the Effective Tax Rate on a return - I believe it is wrong

Your total tax of $15,669 could include non-income taxes, such as self-employment tax or penalties on early withdrawal of retirement plan contributions, or a host of other additional charges. So, the 8.19% may be based on a smaller income tax than is reflected in your numbers here. I suggest you look at your schedule 2 of your Form 1040 (Additional Taxes) to see what additional taxes you may have. Also, included in your payments/credits of $7,085 there may be credits that would reduce the $15,699 number.

You can view your form 1040 and schedules 1 to 3 while working in the online version of TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left menu bar
  2. Click on Tools
  3. Look under Other Helpful links….
  4. Choose View Tax Summary
  5. Look in the left menu bar and choose Preview my 1040
  6. Scroll down the page to see form 1040 and schedules 1 to 3
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Your total tax of $15,669 could include non-income taxes, such as self-employment tax or penalties on early withdrawal of retirement plan contributions, or a host of other additional charges. So, the 8.19% may be based on a smaller income tax than is reflected in your numbers here. I suggest you look at your schedule 2 of your Form 1040 (Additional Taxes) to see what additional taxes you may have. Also, included in your payments/credits of $7,085 there may be credits that would reduce the $15,699 number.

You can view your form 1040 and schedules 1 to 3 while working in the online version of TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left menu bar
  2. Click on Tools
  3. Look under Other Helpful links….
  4. Choose View Tax Summary
  5. Look in the left menu bar and choose Preview my 1040
  6. Scroll down the page to see form 1040 and schedules 1 to 3
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies