turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How does a foreign student file taxes?

My friend is an international F1 student in college. He's been living in the U.S. since 2015 (except for a year-long absence between September 2020 and September 2021). His parents who live abroad pay for his tuition and living expenses. My friend earned $13000 from an internship last year. Now he has some questions about his tax reporting.

1. Can he file taxes as an independent taxpayer given his parents are abroad and have not filed taxes in the U.S.?
2. Considering his time in the U.S., should he file his taxes as a resident or a nonresident, i.e. using form 1040 or 1040 NR?
3. He does not receive a 1098-T form. Can he qualify for American opportunity credit?
4. Besides the $13,000 W2 income which is his only income, are there other items he needs to include in his tax return, such as education expenses?

I'll appreciate if anyone can give me answers.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Below are the answers to your questions:

1. If your friend can't be claimed as a dependent by another US taxpayer, he can file as a nondependent.

2. As a F1 visa holder who's been in the US for more than 5 years, he's considered a resident alien if he passes the Substantial Presence Test.

As a resident alien, he files form 1040. He can use TurboTax Online or CD/Download.

3. He is an alien and isn't eligible for education credits such as the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) or The Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC).

4. He has to report his form W-2 and all other income if applicable. He can't claim education expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Below are the answers to your questions:

1. If your friend can't be claimed as a dependent by another US taxpayer, he can file as a nondependent.

2. As a F1 visa holder who's been in the US for more than 5 years, he's considered a resident alien if he passes the Substantial Presence Test.

As a resident alien, he files form 1040. He can use TurboTax Online or CD/Download.

3. He is an alien and isn't eligible for education credits such as the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) or The Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC).

4. He has to report his form W-2 and all other income if applicable. He can't claim education expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies