Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vwehner86

How do I unamend my federal and amend my state taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
vwehner86

I filed my taxes already but I received an email saying I need to.amend my state but I have no clue how. It keeps doing my federal 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

In order to amend your state tax return in TurboTax, you have to "amend" the federal return first.  If the federal return doesn't need amending, then don't file it - just file the state amended return.

TurboTax creates a state return using the information in the federal return; that is why you always prepare the federal return first, because the information automatically flows to the state program. Also, most amendments to a state return are the result of changing (amending) the federal return - another reason you have to amend the federal return first, before you are able to amend the state return.

Even if your federal return doesn't change, you still have to go through the federal amend process first. That will allow you to access and change (amend) the state return. It allows you to update the state return based on changes to your state interview answers and changes in the state's tax laws since originally filing.

The Free Turbo Tax version from the IRS website does not offer the option to file a state amendment only.  I understand the need to go through the federal form first, but due to the change in the tax law for Unemployment Tax Credit, the IRS does NOT want an amended form, but my state (Maryland) does.  The options Turbo Tax offers are to:  1.  File federal and state amended returns; and 2. File federal amended return only.  How do we use Turbo Tax to file the STATE AMENDED return ONLY?

Turbo Tax has now been updated to be able to print out the amended Maryland state return to be mailed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies