turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I import my 2017 return (PDF created with TurboTax) to amend my 2017 return? I have the CD but need to prepare the amended return on a different computer.

I need to amend my 2017 return.  I no longer have access to the computer that I prepared my 2017 return on, so I installed the TurboTax CD onto a new computer.  But I can't figure out how to import my 2017 return (PDF file only) as a starting point for the amendment.  How do I do this so I don't have to start from scratch? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

How do I import my 2017 return (PDF created with TurboTax) to amend my 2017 return? I have the CD but need to prepare the amended return on a different computer.

Here's some info on  transferring (including from PDF file):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302290

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sj20

I'm having the same issue, but these instructions seem only to work when importing prior years' tax returns. How do you import the pdf for the same year (importing a previously filed 2017 return into TurboTax 2017) to amend it?

@sj20 wrote:

I'm having the same issue, but these instructions seem only to work when importing prior years' tax returns. How do you import the pdf for the same year (importing a previously filed 2017 return into TurboTax 2017) to amend it?

You cannot "open" a PDF to amend a 2017 return.   You have to have the *.tax2017 data file.   The only file the 2017 software can open is the *.tax2017 data file.      Did you not save the *.tax2017 data file?    If your 2017 return was prepared in Online TurboTax, you should be able to download the *.tax2017 data file.

Otherwise, you'd have to exactly recreate the 2017 return in the 2017 software, then fool TurboTax by saying you filed the 2017 return by mail, so that it will then let you start the amending process.

Another option, depending on what all you have to amend and the complexity, is to get the 2017 paper Form 1040X and associated forms that changed and the instructions from the IRS website, and fill them out by hand.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies