vishnurenwa

How do I get the credit for retention bonus, received in year 2016, but paid in full amount in the year 2017. My employer does not provide me amended W2 for year 2016.

I have received say $10000 of retention bonus in the year 2016. I have paid say $1500 of federal taxes and $500 of CA state tax on this amount. So net in hand I have received $8000 but I had to repay $10000 in 2017. How do I claim the $2000 of tax that I have paid when filing taxes for year 2017 on online turbo tax filing? My previous employer does not provide me with amended W2 for the year 2016.
ee-ea

vishnurenwa

Thank for you the link. It helps. Can you please let me know how do I enter below information in online version of Turbo tax?

" If you reported it as wages, unemployment compensation, or other nonbusiness income, deduct it as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040), "

I do not see such page in miscellaneous forms?

Also, if I had to take credit where do I enter this information in turbo tax ?