turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rtayek
Returning Member

How do i do a second amendment>

i amended a 2014 return, filed it and received a refund.

i forgot to enter medical expenses.

how do i amend the amended return?

thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The second amended return should show the differences between the first 1040X and the second one. It's as if the second amended return is based on an "original" return that includes the changes that were made by the first amended return. Unfortunately TurboTax is not very good at handling second amended returns. If you amended only the federal return, you should be able to delete Form 1040X, which will leave you with a 1040 "original" return that includes the changes from the first amended return. Then start the amend process over again and 1040X column A will have the numbers from column C of the first amended return. Do this on a new copy of the .tax2014 data file so that you retain a copy of the first 1040X and you don't take a chance of messing up the original file.

If you also amended your state return, you would need to also delete the state amended return form. This may be difficult or impossible. You may find that you cannot delete the state amended return form, or you delete it but it immediately reappears. The federal 1040X may also reappear if you have an amended state return.

You indicated that you are using the CD or download TurboTax software. Hopefully you saved a copy of the .tax2014 data file for the original return, before any amendments. The easiest way to prepare the second amended return would be the following. Make a new copy of the original .tax2014 file with a different name (so that you don't damage the original file). Open the copy and, without going through the amend process, make the changes that were made by your first amended return. You now have a dummy "original" return that incorporates the changes from the first amended return. This dummy return is the base for the second amended return. Now start the amend process and prepare the second amended return.

If you have trouble with this procedure, call TurboTax support. They should be able to walk you through the steps for amending an amended return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The second amended return should show the differences between the first 1040X and the second one. It's as if the second amended return is based on an "original" return that includes the changes that were made by the first amended return. Unfortunately TurboTax is not very good at handling second amended returns. If you amended only the federal return, you should be able to delete Form 1040X, which will leave you with a 1040 "original" return that includes the changes from the first amended return. Then start the amend process over again and 1040X column A will have the numbers from column C of the first amended return. Do this on a new copy of the .tax2014 data file so that you retain a copy of the first 1040X and you don't take a chance of messing up the original file.

If you also amended your state return, you would need to also delete the state amended return form. This may be difficult or impossible. You may find that you cannot delete the state amended return form, or you delete it but it immediately reappears. The federal 1040X may also reappear if you have an amended state return.

You indicated that you are using the CD or download TurboTax software. Hopefully you saved a copy of the .tax2014 data file for the original return, before any amendments. The easiest way to prepare the second amended return would be the following. Make a new copy of the original .tax2014 file with a different name (so that you don't damage the original file). Open the copy and, without going through the amend process, make the changes that were made by your first amended return. You now have a dummy "original" return that incorporates the changes from the first amended return. This dummy return is the base for the second amended return. Now start the amend process and prepare the second amended return.

If you have trouble with this procedure, call TurboTax support. They should be able to walk you through the steps for amending an amended return.

rtayek
Returning Member

i did save a copy, so i will start with another copy of the original and add in the first changes and then amend.

thanks
jeking3

I believe I found a more reliable way to do this.

1. Make a copy of the .tax20XX file that you used for your 1st amendment.
  2. Rename it so it is obvious this copy of the file is for your 2nd amendment.
  3. Open TurboTax by double-clicking on the application logo and NOT by double-clicking on the Tax file.
  4. On the title screen select "I need to file an amendment".  It will ask you to open a tax file.
  5. Open your 2nd amendment tax file.  It will ask you if the IRS accepted your 1st amendment.  Say Yes.
  6. When you proceed it will tell you it needs to remove the 1040X from your 1st amendment.  Do it.
  7. Follow the procedure for making an amendment.

I found this to be more reliable than trying to re-enter or manually removing the 1040X.  It even seems to have reset the state amendment as well.

I did this with TurboTax 2018 Desktop edition.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies