Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I amend my taxes if I didn't use Turbo Tax for the original filing AND the IRS has already changed my return?

I'm amending 2021 in the desktop Turbo Tax version.  Because I originally filed with a bookkeeper and not Turbo Tax, I know I need to manually write my return in before actually doing the amendment in Turbo Tax.  

My problem is deciding which one is right:

• Should I put the information from the return my bookkeeper filed OR the information the IRS later changed by themselves?

If I put the bookkeeper's information, the Turbo Tax numbers don't match what he gave me.  He had typos affecting my income, expenses, and daughter's birthday, making her much older.  And those are the problems I've caught so far.

If I put the IRS' information, the taxes I owe goes from $2,014 to $6,214.  The thing is, I just paid off the outstanding balance.  The IRS rightfully charged me for the $4,200 COVID credit the bookkeeper assumed I hadn't received.  But if I go this route, do I write the payments into the first Turbo Tax draft or on the second one that is actually considered the amendment draft?

Keep in mind, the changes I need to make are to:

• Update head of house hold to married filing jointly.
  • Update the EIN for a 1099 but not the amount paid.
  • And maybe claim the adult child credit + the tuition I paid if possible. 
  • Update my daughter's date of birth.

Any and all help is welcomed.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

How do I amend my taxes if I didn't use Turbo Tax for the original filing AND the IRS has already changed my return?

@jmacias1 ,  what I understand of the situation is

(a) you had your 2021 return prepared and filed  --- you have a  pdf or similar copy.

(b) Subsequently, IRS  found errors and corrected your return --- I am assuming here that you have a copy of the corrected version / transcript.  This resulted in amounts owed to the IRS and which you have paid.

(c) Now you wish to amend  the corrected return

IMHO, you need to ignore the originally filed return because it has been superseded by the IRS corrected version ( this is now part of your account in IRS  records).  Please use the corrected IRS version -- i.e. recreate this on your machine ( TurboTax downloaded/CD ).  Save  , you may have to tell it that you are filing by mail.  Thereafter come back into TurboTax and say you want to amend a return --- this will let you prepare  a full amended return ( 1040-X and a copy of the amended the corrected return.  This you can now  file with the IRS.

Does this make sense ?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@jmacias1 ,  what I understand of the situation is

(a) you had your 2021 return prepared and filed  --- you have a  pdf or similar copy.

(b) Subsequently, IRS  found errors and corrected your return --- I am assuming here that you have a copy of the corrected version / transcript.  This resulted in amounts owed to the IRS and which you have paid.

(c) Now you wish to amend  the corrected return

IMHO, you need to ignore the originally filed return because it has been superseded by the IRS corrected version ( this is now part of your account in IRS  records).  Please use the corrected IRS version -- i.e. recreate this on your machine ( TurboTax downloaded/CD ).  Save  , you may have to tell it that you are filing by mail.  Thereafter come back into TurboTax and say you want to amend a return --- this will let you prepare  a full amended return ( 1040-X and a copy of the amended the corrected return.  This you can now  file with the IRS.

Does this make sense ?

Yes.  This makes perfect sense.  Thank you for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies