Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I remove the Recovery Rebate Credit when amending a federal return? It added it when I originally filed but I did not qualify.

When I started my tax return, somehow this credit got added. Originally thought I was getting a refund now IRS says I owe. I want to amend my return and run the numbers myself to make sure that amount is correct. When I amend my return, there is no section to remove that credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I remove the Recovery Rebate Credit when amending a federal return? It added it when I originally filed but I did not qualify.

You cannot amend a return for the Recovery Rebate Credit since their was a Recovery Rebate credit on your original return and the IRS corrected the amount.  The IRS will send you a letter regarding the change in your return, and information on what to do if you don't agree.  

The following is from the IRS about amending a return for the Stimulus payment:

1) If you didn't claim the credit on your original tax return you will need to file a Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to claim it. The IRS will not calculate the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit for you if you did not enter any amount on your original tax return, or you entered $0.

(2) DO NOT file an amended tax return if you entered an incorrect amount for the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit on your tax return. If you entered an amount other than $0 on line 30 but made a mistake in calculating the amount, the IRS will calculate the correct amount of the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit, make the correction to your tax return, and continue processing your return. If a correction is needed, there may be a delay in processing your return and the IRS will send you a notice explaining any change made.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-h-correcting-issues-after-the-2021-ta...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You cannot amend a return for the Recovery Rebate Credit since their was a Recovery Rebate credit on your original return and the IRS corrected the amount.  The IRS will send you a letter regarding the change in your return, and information on what to do if you don't agree.  

The following is from the IRS about amending a return for the Stimulus payment:

1) If you didn't claim the credit on your original tax return you will need to file a Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to claim it. The IRS will not calculate the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit for you if you did not enter any amount on your original tax return, or you entered $0.

(2) DO NOT file an amended tax return if you entered an incorrect amount for the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit on your tax return. If you entered an amount other than $0 on line 30 but made a mistake in calculating the amount, the IRS will calculate the correct amount of the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit, make the correction to your tax return, and continue processing your return. If a correction is needed, there may be a delay in processing your return and the IRS will send you a notice explaining any change made.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-h-correcting-issues-after-the-2021-ta...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies